Monday, April 6, 2020

Spring firewood harvesting season begins

Clamp-on forks turns the Kubota into a sawhorse
I wasn't the only one who found the snow deep in the bush
Well, what do you know? The first wolf of the winter shows up
And he has a buddy too. They killed a deer about a hundred yards from this spot.
My goodness but this Kubota is a handy thing
I set up a trail camera to watch the area where I have begun harvesting birch trees for next year's firewood. After a few days I took out the SD card only to find the camera had not been turned on. Doh! So I reset it.
The snow was exceptionally deep as shown by the deer who came to feed on the branches from one of the trees. Deer just come running when they here the chainsaw. Two wolves showed up as well and got one of the deer but off camera. They were the first wolves caught on my cameras this winter.
I drag the trees down to the new woodshed where I install my clamp-on forks to lift the trees to handy chainsaw-cutting height. It works pretty slick. Then the wood is split and stacked in four-feet-high rows, each 16 feet long.
I try to do the skidding in the mornings when the ground is still frozen to avoid making ruts.
There is lots more to do but since everything else has come to a halt due to the pandemic, I've got lots of time for the job.
If everything goes according to plan, I should have at least two years firewood under roof in a few weeks.

No comments:

Red Lake ice-out moves to May 1

 There's bluebird weather in the forecast the next two weeks and that makes me move my final ice-out prediction to May 1 or one week ear...