Thursday, May 2, 2024

Where the heck have I been?

EOSDIS Worldview

 Sorry folks, I was out of the country for nearly a month and was not able to update ice-out conditions on Red Lake. 

The latest that I have heard is that the ice is still shore-to-shore, is 16 inches thick but is candled and ripe for breakup.

I wish I had left my first prediction at May 8 as that is likely close to actual ice-out.

The last few weeks of April turned out colder than normal and that set back ice melting. Again, it is only the weather in April that matters. It was the warmest winter on record but it played no part on ice-out.

You can see daily detailed satellite photographs that show ice melt by going to this site EOSDIS Worldview. The satellite passes over Northwestern Ontario about 3 p.m. EST each day. All it takes to see what is happening with the ice is a clear sky. Unfortunately, the last day that happened was April 24, a week ago. In the screen shot of EOSDIS Worldview above, you can clearly see that Middle and Sadler Bays -- small water bodies at the west end of Red Lake -- are still frozen.

 Zoom Earth also has near real-time imagery but it is not as detailed.

You can also download the free apps for both of these satellites to your smart phone. That is what I have done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan,
We’re still trying to be back there on 5/9…ice permitting!! If not we’ll back it up a day or two. Weather looks favorable the next 7 days. Mother Nature is always in control… we go with her wishes. Safe trip up!
Rex & Cheri

Dan Baughman said...

We will head up as soon as we find the ice is out. Good luck.

Matt said...

Thanks for the update, Dan!

Making a landing strip for white pine seeds

I scratched up some bare dirt alongside my trail  We have six white pine on our 65 acres in Nolalu and I would like to have more of these ma...