Saturday, August 4, 2018

Beautiful and mysterious mushrooms

This Russala mushroom (possibly) is the size of my hat
There is the smell of fall in the air now even though every once in awhile we still get a hot day. Fall means mushrooms and I wish I was better at identifying them. Even with three mushroom books at hand I still wouldn't swear any of my guesses are correct. And that means I don't try eating them. I don't want my epitaph to read, "This idiot ate a toadstool."
I really need an actual expert
Looks like a Chanterelle. If so it is said to be delicious
Another Russala, I think. Spore print is below

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Dan! That does indeed look like a Chanterelle. Do you have a local mushroom foraging group that can show you the ropes? That might be the best way to move forward.

Going up to Red wednesday night, will you be up there?

Neil

Dan Baughman said...

Hey Neil,
We were there most of July and will be heading back in September, also October.
I'm going to check out the Thunder Bay Field Naturalists. I bet they have some 'shroom experts.
Have fun.

Where the heck have I been?

EOSDIS Worldview  Sorry folks, I was out of the country for nearly a month and was not able to update ice-out conditions on Red Lake.  The l...