Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Hummingbird moths on the increase

I think the first hummingbird moth I ever saw was just six or seven years ago. It was at camp, up at Red Lake. I then saw a couple every summer after that.
Now here in Nolalu I see at least one every time I mow the grass. They love dandelions but the one featured in the video, a Snowberry Clearwing or Hemaris deffinis, was feeding on a lilac bush.
These are also known as the Bumblebee Moth. Although they are moths they are only active in the day.
In the video you can clearly see the moth's wings beating but with the naked eye the wings are just a blur, like a hummingbird's.
Moths and butterflies both belong to the order Lepidoptera. Did you know that of the 12,400 species in this order in North America 93 per cent are moths!

No comments:

Red Lake ice-out moves to May 1

 There's bluebird weather in the forecast the next two weeks and that makes me move my final ice-out prediction to May 1 or one week ear...