Saturday, May 13, 2023

World's Greatest Northern Pike Lure

 


Kotala pike jerk bait
The World's Greatest Northern Pike Lure -- that's quite a claim on my part so let me first state my own qualifications. I have thousands of hours of guiding experience, a similar amount of fishing experience, 26 years of operating a remote fishing camp in Northwestern Ontario and a 56-year history at the same camp. I also come from a family of northern pike fishermen. 

Now about the lure: it is a handmade wooden lure made by my neighbour Dwayne Kotala. He makes them in various lengths. The one above is about seven inches long. I have also used nine-inch models and five-inchers. This floating lure has internal stainless steel weights to give it the right attitude in the water.

It can be fished using two techniques. The best, in my experience, is to cast it out, pull it forward a few feet either by fast reeling or by just pulling back on the rod. The lure will dive a few feet while making exaggerated wobbles. I then let the lure float back to the top. It makes smaller wobbles as it floats to the surface.

This action looks exactly like a mortally wounded fish. 

The other technique is to just reel it steadily back to the boat. It will wobble all the way and will run about six feet deep.

I have never seen another lure catch so many really big northern pike. In some places and times on Red Lake, it seems impossible to get it back to the boat without it being nailed by pike that range 36-46 inches in length. Small pike seem to leave it alone.

There is one problem with the lure, however. Fish always engulf the entire thing and it is very difficult to extract from their toothy maws. My solution is to replace the two small treble hooks with very large single siwash hooks that face forward. This doesn't hurt the lure's action.


You can reach Dwayne by email: dwaynekotala@gmail.com

 

I would imagine the Kotala lure would be equally deadly for musky but I can't be sure since there are so few in Red Lake. 

I recommend you use a baitcasting reel on a fairly stiff rod with this lure. Keep the reel filled with a 30-pound braided like FireLine or SpiderWire. 

Best places to fish it are entrances to narrows, backs of bays, below rapids where walleye congregate.

It is especially effective in the evening when there is calm water.

No comments:

Red Lake ice-out was May 7

 Warm temperatures and, more importantly, a high wind took out the ice on Red Lake and all the other water bodies except Trout Lake on May 7...