Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Twenty inches more snow since this

 

It was sunny and warm and there was a crust on the snow nine days ago.

This big fisher found the going easy

It is still snowing! 

We had some sunny, melting, days a week ago and I figured I was in the clear to take the snowblower off the tractor. But first I blew out a 100-yard trail through 36 inches of snow to a stand of birch trees that I could cut for next year's firewood. 

Two days later I was scooping 16 inches of snow just to get the doors to the tractor shed open so I could put the snowblower back on. Now we're getting another six inches today. Enough already!

I now predict there will be snow on the ground, at least in the bush, until the first or second week of May.

I have pulled in all my cameras. It is too hard to keep breaking trail to reach them. I'm also giving up on firewood cutting until May. My guess is that ice-out at Red Lake is going to be late this year, May 15 at least, maybe later. I should still have time to put up wood before heading north to finish our cabin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are they getting that much snow up in Red Lake? Fingers crossed Ice out by 5/5 vs. your 5/15 prediction.
Mike S

Dan Baughman said...

Just talked to Red Lake Marine and they report missing most of the big dump we got last week but did get the four inches we got yesterday but a day earlier. The upshot is there is two feet of snow on the ice and about three in the bush. So, what about ice-out? From what I see on the 14-day forecast of the Weather Network, the temperatures are expected to be below normal. That makes me start my prediction, not May 8, which is the center of the normal two-week period of ice-out, but May 15. If the next two weeks end up being warmer than normal, I would bring it back to May 8. But if even one of those weeks is below normal, I would move again to May 22. Fishing season begins May 21! This could be one of those years where anglers are bunched-up in town waiting for the first floatplane trips to happen. We used to fly people over the ice into Bow Narrows under those circumstances. The ice would be out in front of the camp and lots of the nearby bays. Then we would boat people back into town at the end of the week.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan,
Any updates from Red Lake ice out?
Mike S

Ice-out Red Lake -- it's happening

  EOSDIS Worldview pic today, May 6. Ice mostly gone Brian was able to fly from the river, over the ice and into open water in the narrows a...