Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Troubling chapters coming in Yankee...

 The next couple of chapters of A Yankee in the Canadian Bush are difficult for me to write as they tell of some terribly sad parts of my life. 

I could just leave them out but that's not my nature. I'm nothing if not honest and that means telling all of this story even if it hurts.

I also have another reason: a couple of years ago a young man who came to camp with his father from the time he was a young boy took his own life. Somehow I think if I had written about what happened to me it might have helped him. I'm not sure how, it's just a feeling. 

There is an epidemic of suicides among young people taking place in Canada and the U.S. and probably around the world. Why? I think I have an insight into this since I once stood on that ledge. In short, people end their lives when they despair that the darkness, the sadness, in their lives will ever change. They lose all hope. 

For me, it was the actions of a total stranger that is likely the reason I'm here today.

If you or someone you know is despairing right now, these simple words might help:

All feelings are temporary

If you want evidence that this is true,  think back to times you were extremely happy. Even those good feelings didn't last forever. The same goes for bad feelings. 

Be alert for the messengers of hope. They might be friends, family, strangers. They might even be animals or plants. They are reaching out a hand, maybe because they have been where you are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your encouraging words. I know this particular time of year can be very troublesome for some people. Enjoying A Yankee in the Canadian Bush.

Ice-out Red Lake -- it's happening

  EOSDIS Worldview pic today, May 6. Ice mostly gone Brian was able to fly from the river, over the ice and into open water in the narrows a...