Friday, October 29, 2021

Fishing was spectacular, at least for me


 
Here's what mega-fire Red Lake 77 looked like July 6, the day after it started

I was so intent on cabin building that I took little time off to fish; however, Brenda and I were also hungry for some fish dinners. On my first cast from the dock I caught about a 24-inch walleye. That's too big to keep for eating so I kept tossing out my 1/8-ounce Beetle Spin. Pretty soon I had two smaller walleye and kept them for the frying pan. Four or five days later I tried the same thing. In quick order I had a nice eating-size walleye and a northern pike -- all we needed.

After a week I tried again and this time got one pike. We needed another so I got in the boat and headed down the shoreline. To my surprise I caught an enormous smallmouth bass. I think it might have weighed four pounds.  I released it. Then I got the pike I was looking for and headed home. 

Another week passed and I decided to try fishing for pike right where I went daily to get cellphone messages, on the way to Trout Bay. One cast and I had a 24-inch pike -- all we needed. The next time we wanted fish I made a bunch of casts with the Beetle Spin and didn't get anything so I switched to a 3/4 ounce Five of Diamonds spoon. One cast and I had my pike. I started for home but part way back slowed down and thought I would troll back to the dock. I just let out the spoon behind the boat. I was in about 50 feet of water and didn't expect a bite until I got nearer to shore. Almost immediately I hooked something enormous. It was fighting like mad and with the deep water and all I figured it must be a lake trout. When I finally got it to the boat I couldn't believe it but it was a whopper of a walleye.

I carefully measured it without lifting it from the lake. It was 32 inches, by far my biggest. It had bit a five-inch long spoon on a six-inch steel leader. Without a weight to sink it the spoon probably was no more than six feet from the surface in a spot that was 50 feet deep. I let it go, of course, and just to see if this had been a fluke retraced my path and started trolling the spoon again. I was still letting out my line when another fish hit. This one seemed much smaller but I measured it anyway -- 26 inches. 

I only fished one more time after that, again in my cellphone bay. It was evening and the water was still so I tried a handmade jerk bait. I did so reluctantly because every time I have used these lures by Dwayne Kotala, my neighbour in Nolalu, I have caught a lunker of a pike. This time I wanted a smaller pike to eat and didn't want to risk killing a trophy-size fish. I picked a small version of Dwayne's pike-musky wooden bait. One toss and I had my eater pike but I wanted to fish a little more so I cast it out again. Sure enough, I tied into a 45-incher. It would have been over 20 pounds. Fortunately, I was able to release it OK.

All told I fished about four hours last summer and in that time I caught my largest-ever smallmouth bass (also my first from Red Lake), largest walleye and largest northern pike.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Got to say your fishing was better than mine when I met you up there this fall (September 20th). Next time I'm hiring you as my guide LOL. Great to see you writing again. I do check your blog daily.
Mike S
(Same Mike that met you in September when I introduced myself from your dock and you showed me how to fillet the northern)
Thanks for your updates.

Anonymous said...

Caught 5 smallmouth on Red Lake the first week of September. Nothing big but those were the first ones ever for me in the 39 years fishing Red Lake.

Dave D.

Dan Baughman said...

It seems like they are moving in, doesn't it? Warmer lake temperatures caused by climate change are likely a major reason. Although smallmouths have displaced walleye in some more southern lakes I have heard Red Lake biologists say that is unlikely to happen here, just because the lake is so deep. I wonder if the same observation holds for northern pike. They are my favourite fish to eat and I can remove 100% of their bones when filleting. A lake has a set amount of biomass that it can produce and when something new comes in, something else must disappear.

Anonymous said...

Do you ever use a spider bait for northern sounds like some fun fishing

Dan Baughman said...

Not sure what a spider bait is.

Ice-out Red Lake -- it's happening

  EOSDIS Worldview pic today, May 6. Ice mostly gone Brian was able to fly from the river, over the ice and into open water in the narrows a...