Friday, May 15, 2020

One busy week for this trail camera

Lynx

Red fox
Wolf
Fisher
I have another episode of A Yankee in the Canadian Bush to publish but I have been slowed down by converting some slides into digital photos. Speaking of photos ...
I quit checking my trail cameras late last winter because there was so little on them. Finally I picked up the camera above and found all of these creatures which had appeared within a week of each other.
I enlarged the shot of the fisher because he was in the far background. It is a really nice fisher. The lynx is small, probably last year's kitten. The wolf is about average. The red fox is only the second fox we saw all winter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan

Are the times of the photos accurate? Wouldn't it be odd for a wolf to be out in the middle of the day?

Dan Baughman said...

Yes, the camera clock should be fairly accurate and you are right, it is unusual to photograph a wolf in broad daylight. This camera was set about a half-mile from the road, however. It is basically in the middle of the bush. Wolves aren't as skittish back there. I had photos of another wolf on a different day too. He was about one-third larger than this one but the photo was blurry.

Red Lake ice-out moves to May 1

 There's bluebird weather in the forecast the next two weeks and that makes me move my final ice-out prediction to May 1 or one week ear...