Saturday, March 14, 2020

Lemming spotted in Nolalu, Ont.

My first evidence of the little creature came from a set of tracks in the driveway. They showed a scurrying animal, weaving left and right from one side of the driveway to the other and often reversing directions. That's odd, I thought. It had gone all around the house, a couple of times.
My guess was it had been a star-nosed mole. These chubby creatures occasionally come above ground and snow and since they are practically blind, seem to wander aimlessly.
Then, a few hours later, I saw the animal, this time on top of the snow right in front of the house. It wasn't a mole at all. With binoculars I could see it had the short-nose and tiny ears of something like a meadow vole or meadow mouse but it was browner and had a longer furry tail. It occurred to me I had seen this creature once before, at camp. Outside worker Ben Godin and I one spring were flipping over boats that had been stored for the winter in the yard and there were a half dozen of these meadow-mouse-like animals running around our feet. They weren't afraid of us and unfortunately, we accidentally stepped on several as we moved the boats down to the lake. Our best guess was that they were lemmings but aren't they only found in the Far North? We were just too busy to research the question.
But now I have more time and sure enough there is a lemming species in the southern part of Northwestern Ontario and the northern states. It is the Northern Bog Lemming. There is also a Southern Bog Lemming in more southern areas.
There are no bogs near our home in Nolalu but there are some a few miles away.
I wish I had gotten a photo because my research on the Internet showed that photos of this mysterious rodent are practically non-existent.
The way the lemming in our yard was behaving -- running aimlessly around above the snow -- would not bode well for his survival.  I expected to see a hawk or owl pick him off at any moment.

No comments:

Red Lake ice-out moves to May 1

 There's bluebird weather in the forecast the next two weeks and that makes me move my final ice-out prediction to May 1 or one week ear...