Sunday, March 8, 2020

History of Red Lake, camp, mines, fish

I gathered from my old Bow Narrows Camp blog a list of postings that dealt with history and thought you all might like to review them. Just click on the heading to view the complete post.

How Red Lake got its name

Pictograph at Artery Lake, west of Red Lake

DB Dowling left his mark here in 1893

Initials carved in soapstone at entrance to Pipestone Bay

 Remembering First Nations peoples of Red Lake

Ojibwe men who guided for Bow Narrows Camp

Which fish species are the oldest?

Lake Agassiz

West Red Lake Mining Museum

Home site of Bill Brown, Red Lake's first postmaster

 How long have people lived at Red Lake?

Middle Narrows pictograph about 1,200 years old

  Stromatolites made life as we know it

Bob Leis with book and stromatolite

Jim Paishk: pipemaker, master storyteller

Jim Paishk

It just didn't seem possible

Guide Jimmy Duck with hunter couple

 

The lone man in the canoe


This is how it all started



The Trapper's Cabin. Who was the trapper?

The cabin at the east end of West Narrows

The camp telephone back in the 1960s

Bill Stupack and my mom, Del, with CB-style telephone

Refrigeration system 50+ years ago

Ice house at Bow Narrows Camp 1948-1967

Traveling on thin ice a half-century ago

Frank Paishk and canoe

Bow Narrows Camp back in 1961

Bill Stupack, my mom, Del, and me with bear trap

Lime kiln last remnant of '26 gold rush

Lime kiln in Hall Bay

Things you discover while hunting

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Pics Dan

Robin Dee Hall said...

Hey Dan always look forward to seeing your latest blog out of curiosity do you think there will be any trouble crossing the border when we head north this spring,especially with this coronavirus thing!

Dan Baughman said...

Hi Dee,
Good to hear from you.
No, I don't anticipate any problem at the border. Red Lake is bound to be one of the safest places to go because there are so few people here, even fewer at camp, of course. Canada has not banned travelers from any country.

kenneth conkle said...

hey dan good reading really enjoyed, i can remember adam showing me how to catch lake trout back in 82.

Dan Baughman said...

Hi Ken,
Adam was a wonderful guy. He made several head and footboards for the cabin beds out of peeled spruce logs. He also made a log cabin to be used as an outpost for us on McIntosh Lake. Tragically, it burned down at the end of the first season we used it. Doubly tragic because Adam planned to use it as a trapper's cabin in the winters. He also made me a couple of toy airplanes when I was little. One was a floatplane made from pieces of aluminum roof flashing. The other was a wheeled plane made of wood and which hung from a pole with three strings. It had a roof-flashing propeller that spun easily and turned the plane into the wind. I had a ball with it for years, flying it around camp and making it land and take off on the paths worn into the clay. Adam also showed me a neat trick: if you puncture a balsam fir blister with a small stick, then throw the stick into the lake, it shoots forward as the resin escapes the twig into the water. It is almost as if the stick is under power. I think it was also Adam who showed my dad and me how to make a quick drinking cup from a piece of birchbark. You fold a small piece of bark into a cone, like you might get at a water cooler. You can even split a small branch a little to hold the cone together and turn it into a dipper. He was a great guy.

joe overman said...

Dan
You don't have to write a book, just make a compilation of your blogs along with some tales of the boreal forest, and you have a best seller. Keep it up! Too bad we're in camp so early, We would love to have a cup of coffee with you and Brenda. Yes I said COFFEE!

Dan Baughman said...

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the encouragement. I hope to be at the cabin site as soon as the ice is off so hopefully we can connect. If the dock and boat are there, come on over! I like coffee.

Kim Gross said...

Dan,
I enjoyed re-reading these. Amazing how much I'd forgotten- must have something to do with old age! I'm definitely looking forward to your book. Hope to see you and Brenda this summer.

Dan Baughman said...

Update to my comment of March 9, the border is expected to close to all but commercial traffic today, March 20. This is an indefinite closure that was agreed to by both U.S. and Canada. When will it re-open? I'm sure that will depend on when the Covid 19 or coronavirus spread has been halted. Just about everything is shut down here in Canada in order to keep people at home. We now must watch the infection spread numbers. They will certainly increase for a while but if they don't increase exponentially we will know we are halting the spread. It will probably take at least a couple of months to achieve this.

I'm 'in the pink' with new wooden lures

 I'm looking forward to trying new wooden lures made by my neighbour, Dwayne Kotala. I'm lucky to get prototypes of what might becom...