Thursday, January 9, 2020

Thumbs-up on new Faber snowshoes

My first new snowshoes in more than 50 years
I got new style snowshoes for my birthday and I've been using them exclusively this winter for trail walking and cutting firewood. With 30 inches of snow now snowshoes are a must.
My 'shoes are made by Faber, a Canadian company based in Quebec. They are called hybrid 'shoes since they have a wooden frame but synthetic webbing.
Brenda has the same model of snowshoes, just a smaller size than mine. I'm a big guy and when getting snowshoes I always think about a customer of ours who was a woodcutter from Fort Frances, Ont., an area of Northwestern Ontario that often gets deep snow. I asked him one time what type of snowshoes he wore. "The biggest ones I can find," he said.
Mine are 11 inches in width and 40 inches long and are rated for someone up to 350 pounds. I am more than 100 pounds less than that.
I find they don't sink as much as the traditional snowshoes in new powder, probably no more than six inches.
They have a great harness system that allows you to ratchet the strap tight to your boot. The harness also pivots through the toe-hole and has a sharp cleat on the bottom that digs into packed snow when climbing hills.
They do have a different feel to them compared to my old traditional 'shoes, something that had me do a couple of face-plants at first, but now I have grown used to their shape.
Faber has come out with an intriguing model called the S-Line which stands for sliding step snowshoes. They are a hybrid between snowshoes and cross-country skis and could be a blast for people who have mostly open, hilly country to navigate.
For me though, confined by the dense Boreal Forest, the hybrid 'shoes are a better fit.

No comments:

Red Lake ice-out moves to May 1

 There's bluebird weather in the forecast the next two weeks and that makes me move my final ice-out prediction to May 1 or one week ear...