Thursday, January 2, 2020

Deer appreciate my snowshoe trails

It's tough walking in 30 inches of snow
Doe hoists herself up to my packed trail
There is about 30 inches of snow in the bush here now and that is making life difficult for the deer.
The snow is up to their chests and makes them leap rather than walk to get through it. They gladly follow my packed snowshoe trails where their sharp hooves still sink but only a couple of inches. I also have cleared one of our main trails with the snowblower and that has become a deer thoroughfare. I clear this trail with the tractor's snowblower just so I can get in there later this winter and skid out white birches. These will be pulled down to our new woodshed where they will be split, stacked and dried for next year.

No comments:

Red Lake ice-out moves to May 1

 There's bluebird weather in the forecast the next two weeks and that makes me move my final ice-out prediction to May 1 or one week ear...