Thursday, January 16, 2020

Beautiful winter weather here in Nolalu

Perfect for outdoor activities like snowshoeing and cross-country skiing
I almost canceled my planned snowshoe walk today because the thermometer showed it was -20C (4 below zero F). I thought it might be too cold for our dog, Cork, to stay outside for the 45-minute trail loop. It looked windy too and that is always what makes it feel bitter. Then we went outside to get the mail and realized the wind was only an issue in the wide open spaces. And there wasn't a cloud in the sky. The sun, reflecting off the snow was absolutely brilliant and warm. So I strapped on the snowshoes and we took off.  It was wonderful.
Four inches of snow had fallen since we last traversed this trail three days ago and that is like nothing to repack with the 'shoes. Back in the shelter of the trees there was no wind at all. I was glad I had ditched my heavy parka that I had worn down to the mailbox. I just wore a flannel shirt with a light weight parka.
We found fresh lynx tracks and my heart quickened when I realized the cat was headed toward one of my cameras. Alas, the elusive critter did what they usually do, walked right up to the camera but on the wrong side of the tree. Anyway, a group of four deer showed up on the camera card. One of them had spotted the camera and came up for a close inspection.
Chickadees serenaded us all along the way. There is nothing cheerier or braver than the tiny chickadee, my pick for Canada's national bird.
I moved one of my trail cameras to another spot that showed today's lynx tracks. I had seen tracks there the last time I was on this trail so I figure there is a chance for a pic.
Yesterday was a major firewood cutting day for me and Cork. We brought in four toboggan loads of dry balsam (about a week's worth), working up a good sweat in the process. Cork and I work as a team; I cut down the trees and saw them into four-foot lengths and Cork chews up all the branches that I cut off.
We're expecting another six inches of snow on Friday evening. Snowfalls are coming every few days now. I have what I consider the perfect machine to deal with snow, a Kubota tractor with a front-mounted snowblower. It beats a plow which gets stymied when there is no longer anywhere to push the snow, a situation that already exists. So in addition to our 200-yard drive, I also do three of the neighbours. It just takes a couple of hours to clean out all of our drives.
"What's this funny thing tied to the tree?"
Cutting and hauling out dry balsam is a great workout for me

3 comments:

Moe said...

Good to see you so active and not setting by the fire as so many do in retirement -- check your blog often and enjoy keeping up with you - please keep it up -- by the way -- I have tried to leave a message before and it didn't make it to you!
m. Shady, NC

Dan Baughman said...

Hi Moe,
Thanks for your comment.
I try to split my time between cutting wood and sitting by the stove!
Incidentally, comments don't appear right away. They wait for me to OK them, just in case somebody says something not fit for print. That actually has never happened. I have OKed them all.

Unknown said...

Good boy Cork, take care of those pesky branches!

Red Lake ice-out moves to May 1

 There's bluebird weather in the forecast the next two weeks and that makes me move my final ice-out prediction to May 1 or one week ear...