Sunday, December 11, 2022

Images of a person's happiest days

 It's Sunday and that means I always read the obituaries in the newspaper.  Just about every week one of these will include a photograph of a person holding a fish. It always strikes me that the family who supplied the information for the obit thought the fishing picture best depicted this man's life. It was when he was at his happiest. It's how we always want to remember him.

Having watched thousands of fishermen at our former business, Bow Narrows Camp, I understand it wasn't just the fish in the photograph that made the man so pleased. It was the entire experience that came before and after. There is something about fishing that transcends sport. I wrote about this one time in my old blog at the camp. See Fishing, Spirituality and Us.

We realized over time how important fishing and the trip to camp was to some people. As one of our guests told me, "I'll be here next year the same week. If I'm not here you'll know I died."

And one year he wasn't there.

We also had several people who hung on just to make one last trip. They died almost immediately afterwards. That fishing trip was how they wanted to remember their own lives on Earth.

 

2 comments:

BigCity1007 said...

I like this. Great point Dan!! Social media is another example where ppl are seen in their profile picture of them holding a fish. Their profile photo, like their obituary photo is of them at their happiest times. Our cabin on the west end of Red Lake is a little slice of heaven. Im only able to get up there 20-30 days during the fishing season, but those days are my most favorite of the year. Merry Christmas Dan! Thanks for continuing this blog.

Anonymous said...

Well said, I can definitely relate.

Ice-out Red Lake -- it's happening

  EOSDIS Worldview pic today, May 6. Ice mostly gone Brian was able to fly from the river, over the ice and into open water in the narrows a...