Thursday, January 4, 2018

Sometimes it is best to hunker down

It has been in the -30s C at night and -20s C in the day here at our house in Nolalu
It was embarrassing that most Canadian cities cancelled their New Year's celebrations because it was too cold. This is Canada. It gets cold, every winter. No big surprise.
Canadians used to be a much tougher breed. We were famous for it.
"Sure, it's a bit nippy but it's a dry cold, eh?"
I blame cell phones. I think the reason the New Year's shindigs were axed was because people's smart phones might freeze. No selfies. No texts. It would have been like the Stone Age. We must protect our digital devices at all costs.
Anyway, the deep cold has persisted throughout much of the nation and even the continent. And although I don't even own a smart phone I have also been staying inside, beavering away on the sunroom.
I am itching to go for some walks and I certainly have the clothes for the weather, even if the windchill is -43 C. It's just that I would need to leave my dog behind and I'm afraid that would break his heart. Although I can dress for the cold Cork just has the one fur suit and it seems only good enough for about five minutes before he is lifting one paw after the other off the snow. So our usual 45-minute walks will just have to wait a spell.
 I have the luxury of waiting because I'm retired but working people are out there every day in some of the coldest, windiest places like construction sites and on the highways. We don't cancel work because it is cold out.
Still, it is just common sense to do jobs inside if there any. A week from now the daytime highs are expected to be in the minus single digits which is quite pleasant.


2 comments:

Doug Billings said...

Happy New Year Dan and Brenda!

I love your new blog. This entry in particular caught my attention. We had an unusual cold spell (no snow) hit here in West Tennessee around New Year's and a few days later schools were starting back from their winter breaks.

A neighboring county called off school Wednesday through Friday, January 3-5, due to the cold temperatures. Now, usually they will say it's because it is too cold for the kids, but this district didn't claim that as the reason. They said it was because they were having some "bus issues" in the cold weather. I thought that was brilliant. The superintendent of the school system must be a true blue politician. Instead of stating the obvious, we don't want to jeopardize our children's health and well-being in subjecting them to a cold snap, we will redirect everyone's attention and place the blame on something else. Heaven forbid a piece of our machinery getting too cold!

I'm more inclined to agree with you, we are getting too soft. It's been going on for years in the United States. I call it the "wussification of America!" Don't get me started! Ha!

Anonymous said...

I still love your blogs Dan!! Paul

Where the heck have I been?

EOSDIS Worldview  Sorry folks, I was out of the country for nearly a month and was not able to update ice-out conditions on Red Lake.  The l...